An Anaphylactic shock, or anaphylaxis, is a life-threatening, serious allergic reaction to an allergen such as food substances or insect stings. If it is not treated appropriately, it may cause death. This training is for qualified First Aiders and Emergency First Aiders to enable them to recognise and treat anaphylaxis safely and effectively.
When administering a medication, it is important to recognise and differentiate between allergic reactions and the potentially life-threatening anaphylactic reactions immediately. It is also essential to determine whether the individual has had an allergic or anaphylactic response to the medication in the past or prior to administration.
This course is suitable for all First Aiders and healthcare professionals, as well as those in a high risk environment where such medication is available.
- Describe anaphylaxis
- Identify triggers for anaphylaxis
- Describe life threatening problems associated with the:
- Disability (Neurological status)
- Exposure (Skin and mucosal changes)
- Explain the need for an early call for help
- Explain the treatment for anaphylaxis:
- Non re-breather mask
- Removal of trigger
- Identify key features of adrenaline-auto injectors
- Conduct an initial assessment using the ABCDE approach
- Demonstrate a recovery position
- Demonstrate resuscitation for adult and/or child
- Recognise the need to use an auto-injector
- Prepare medication for administration during anaphylaxis treatment
- Demonstrate the safe use of an adrenaline auto-injector using a training device
- Safely dispose of sharps according to agreed ways of working
- Handover the casualty to a medical profession
This qualification lasts for 3 years. To renew the qualification, learners will need to retake the full course. However, it is recommended that during the 3-year period, the learners attend annual refresher courses.
This is a classroom-based course of 6 contact hours. Dependent on the learner’s experience, there may well be some pre-course or post-course reading.
A maximum of 12 students are allowed and must be a minimum of 16 years of age and a certificate can be offered to all, subject to assessment.
This course can be booked privately at your own workplace or venue. Private courses can often be booked at reduced rates when attendee numbers are guaranteed.
Get in touch today to discuss a private course at a time and date that suits your group.
This course frequently run at a public place and you can attend individually or in a group. Open courses are charged on a per person basis.